To 19-year-old Nathan, Camp Barnabas isn’t just a place he goes for the summer, to him it’s “like another home.”
Nathan captured our hearts this year with his sweet story. We were lucky enough to catch it on camera along with interviews with his dad and summer missionary, Sam. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Name: Nathan Leeker
- Age: 19 years
- Diagnosis: Cerebral Palsy
- Attended Camp Barnabas: Three years
- Favorite thing about camp: I get to meet new friends and experience new things without mom and dad that I haven’t experienced before.
- What makes camp memorable: It means so much to me that missionaries take time out of the summer.
- What keeps you coming back? I can do things I never thought I would be able to. It is a week of doing something where campers can just be themselves.
“I never understood what the word joy meant but when you see how the staff receive the campers, and make it all about them, that is when I felt in my heart what joy was.” – Brian Leeker, Nathan’s Dad